Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sirge - trust

When I first saw the timid stray mutt, he kept his distance.
I crouched down,
and extended my hand.
I whistled for him.
he sniffed the air and gingerly approached.
he would take a few small steps forward,
then pause
as he assessed the situation.

I lowered my hand even more.

We both patiently waited
and after a while he got close enough to sniff my hand.
he finally let me touch him.
It was a simple touch to show him I cared.
I did not lunge at him.
he needed to build trust in knowing I would not hurt him.

I offered him some water.
but he took a step back.
I kept still and he finally approached the bowl.
he quizzically looked up at me.
his eyes still asking if he should trust me
or even trust himself.
I encouraged him to drink
and he finally lapped with great thirst.

When he was finished
I stood and took the empty bowl.
I turned and started walking towards the house
yet I noticed he stayed right where he was.
After taking a few more steps,
I whistled for him again
and he started walking in my direction.

I opened the back door and with no signs of hesitation,
he entered.
When I went to the fridge and made myself a thick hearty sandwich.
he quietly followed me.
he did not beg but sat patiently in the middle of the kitchen.
As I dropped pieces of my sandwich onto the floor
he ate.

I then held out a piece for him, still in my hand.
he walked over and again looked up at me,
waiting for me to give him approval to accept what was being offered.
he gently took the piece from my hand into his mouth.

When we were finished
I went upstairs to the bedroom and began to undress.
he followed me and stood at the doorway and watched.
As I took my boots off,
he fully entered the room
and he dug his nose into the pile of clothes I dropped to the floor.
he was learning to define my scent.

No words were exchanged as I sat at the edge of the bed
and we both looked at each other
each wondering what the other was going to do next.
I patted the mattress and coaxed him up.

Now months later, he has let me bathe and groom him.
he has willing accepted his collar
and he carries his leash to bed each night.
he sleeps wrapped up besides me,
with his head nuzzled in the pit of my arm.

he knows when things are to be taken seriously.
Yet he understands when there are times for play.
We can look at each other and just know.
he is my constant and faithful companion.
I trust in him as he trusts in me.
Each of us giving what each other needs.

I could not imagine what my life was like before him.
nor can I imagine what my life would now be like without him,
by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment